19/5/11

Petty Cash Cafe, Marrickville

It's my turn to choose a Rippas lunch location and I choose one of Marrickville's best – the lovely Petty Cash on Enmore Park. Four prams are one too many for us to sit inside, but we manage to squeeze around a large outdoor table.


Like The Kick Inside, this corner cafe is a vintage lovers dream - my flat white comes to the retro table in a proper china cup with a scalloped collectors teaspoon, while my tablemate's teapot wears a crafty knitted tea cosy.


I've only been here for breakfast before. The lunch side of the menu has lots to offer but a wrap in the display at the counter catches my eye - roast pork with roast carrots, red onion and redcurrant jelly.


At first bite, I'm disappointed - unlike the delicious blackened, melting carrots of my childhood Sunday roasts, these carrots are so crunchy as to be almost raw. But crunch isn't a bad thing in a sandwich and luckily the pork has plenty of flavour. The redcurrant jelly, escaping from the ends and making a pool of sticky, meaty juice on the plate, is the star for me, fooling my tastebuds into thinking I've had an afternoon tea treat. Just as well, or I might have had to try one of their signature brownies.

Petty Cash Cafe
68 Victoria Road, Marrickville NSW 2204
p. (02) 9557 2377

Petty Cash Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment