3/5/11

Clipper Cafe, Glebe

This cute cafe at the southern end of Glebe Point Road attracts a quirky crowd. How do I know? Well, the other day I saw a guy perched on one of the footpath tables holding a kitten on a leash. OK, it's not as odd as the guy I saw in the Harajuku area of Tokyo dragging a leek on a leash, but it's still not something you see every day. The kitten was very well behaved, so the trick must be to start them young. It didn't work when I tried it on my cat Chilli a few years ago – she got startled and jumped clean out of the harness, Houdini style.

Anyway, Clipper is clearly a great place to go for a coffee and a chat (ha ha). It's certainly busy on a rainy Friday afternoon and my friend and I don't fancy our chances getting a table until a kind couple relinquish theirs and we're in.

 
After a quick coffee and catch-up we order two dishes to share from the all-day menu - a panini with salami, tomato relish, feta and babaganoush and baked eggs with lamb sausages.

Baby Pea is a bit cranky and I'm distracted by feeding but the sweet garlicky sandwich hits the spot. Once I've settled him back in the pram I can enjoy the eggs - they're perfectly cooked and taste great with the soft sausage and chunky tomato sauce. You can also have them with chorizo or sauteed mushrooms.



Next door is a fantastic French patisserie selling proper baguettes and classic pastries such as pain au chocolat - they even make mini versions, which I've never seen anywhere else.

Clipper Cafe
16 Glebe Point Road, Glebe NSW
p. 0411 800 063

Clipper Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a great new blog! I'll be using this as a guide when I come back to Sydney for a visit! Keep it up! x

    ReplyDelete